We accept donations year-round at the Sharing Room on our campus. We are often overwhelmed by the outpouring of goods for the needy. OLPH volunteers work many hours to sort, organize and coordinate pick up and delivery of donations. New volunteers are always welcome. (See Volunteer Opportunities).
To facilitate our donation process, please consider the guidelines outlined below.
- We are abundantly blessed to be able to give so generously. Please consider the dignity of the needy when evaluating what to donate. Those receiving will appreciate items that are clean and in good repair. Ask yourself whether you would be comfortable passing an item on to someone you know.
- When donating your gently worn, clean clothing, please remove from hangers and deliver them to the Sharing Room folded in boxes or bags, keeping weight manageable for our volunteers. All types of clothing are welcome with the exception of undergarments (men’s undershirts are welcome). In season clothing is preferred.
- Shoes should be gently worn.
- Small household items in clean, good condition are welcome. Small appliances need to be complete and in working order. We cannot accept TVs.
- Contact the Parish Office (847.729.1525) concerning donations of larger furnishings. We will then call you to discuss the items. If they are in good condition and we are sure we have an outlet for the goods, pick-up or delivery will be arranged. Please do not deliver furniture or appliances to the Sharing Room without authorization.
- We can only accept NEW toys.
- We do find homes for most books but are unable to find outlets for encyclopedias and textbooks.
- Please do not donate redecorating materials (used paint, wallpaper, tile…) or construction materials.
- Please be mindful that the dumpsters outside the Sharing Room doors fill routinely with items we do not feel comfortable passing on. This creates an unnecessary expense and reduces funds for the poor.
Thank you for your consideration of these guidelines!